I’ve not long spent a week with the family in the New Forest, and for the most part, I was able to unplug and switch off. Preparing for this summer break reminded me that not so long ago, summer holidays were a time to unplug and relax completely.
Sadly, in today’s hyper-connected world, it’s become increasingly difficult to take a stress-free summer break from our businesses. But it’s not impossible.
Here are my top 8 tips for unplugging from your trades business:
1. Cash flow is especially important during the summer holidays, when you, key staff and your customers will be away. Plan ahead and do a cash flow forecast to manage the peaks and troughs of the summer months.
2. Make sure invoices are being chased up while you’re away. Otherwise customers might get the idea you have a casual approach to getting paid! You could delegate this task to a VA service to handle while you’re away.
3. Make sure suppliers are still being paid on time while you’re away. Otherwise you may damage your credit rating, limiting access to supplies on credit. Schedule payments in advance or use mobile banking to make payments while you’re away.
4. Use your out of office email and give out details for an alternative contact. Advise suppliers or customers of alternatives to their regular contacts. If necessary, make sure your inbox is checked regularly, perhaps by a trusted VA service.
5. Make sure remaining staff understand why they’re expected to take on extra work and cover some of your work while you’re on holiday. It’s an opportunity for your team to step up as well as to show team spirit.
6. If you’re a sole trader or micro-business, arrange for a call answering service while you’re away. They’re a lot less expensive than you might think and ensure your business appears professional.
7. If you can’t switch off completely while you’re away, set aside a specific time each day when you’ll check in with the office. Aside from that pre-determined time, let go of work.
8. Give yourself at least half a day, ideally a day in the office to catch up with what’s been happening while you’ve been away. Use this time to organise yourself for the week ahead and chase up any slow payers.
We hope you found these tips helpful? We’d love to know what works for you. Let us know in the comments box below.
To help you enjoy your summer, we’ve got a special offer for you. We’re offering 10% off our three van racking systems: Sortimo, Edström and Hubb. Book and pay for your order by 11:59pm, 31st July, 2019 and save yourself 10%.*
*This discount is applied toward your product total with no minimum purchase required when the code SUMMER10 is used and applies solely to enquiries made and paid for between 12th June and 11:59pm, 31st July, 2019. This offer is good for one-time use, and cannot be combined with other discounts, other promotional codes, taxes or shipping. It does not apply to delivery costs or to orders made online through our webshop.
Like this? Subscribe to The Organised Tradesman, our fortnightly newsletter.